Chaldon Church is of Saxon Foundation and is recorded in the Charter of Frithwald, dated 727 AD. It came under the overlordship of the King of Mercia who founded Chertsey Abbey in 666 AD.

Chertsey Abbey was the first religious settlement in Surrey and was run by Benedictine monks. Little is known of the early church buildings, possibly a wooden structure, but there are no remains of them. The Normans set up the Manorial System in England and in 1085 made the Great Survey which resulted in the Domesday Book in which Chaldon is recorded as “Chalvedune, being of two hides (200 acres) and a church”.

The present church was started in the late 10th or early 11th century, before the Normans came. It consisted originally of a rectangular nave, 27 feet long and just over 17 feet wide with high walls probably having an apse at the east end, characteristic of Saxon church building. The west wall is of traditional flint construction and is almost certainly original, and the wall containing the chancel arch may also be. The aisles were opened up by simple Early English arches into the similar high walls, – the south aisle in the early 13th century, and the north aisle perhaps 50 years later. The pair of arches of the south aisle have a simple chamfer, while those of the north aisle have a double chamfer, and the capitals of the piers confirm the age.

The chancel arch is also Early English, an enlargement of the original archway. Originally there were arches from the chancel to extensions of both aisles, but the northern arch is walled-up, (and revealed in the 1869 restoration). The east window of the chancel contains scenes of Christ’s Nativity, Crucifixion and Ascension, by Powell, and dates from 1869, erected in memory of John Pickersgill of Netherne House died 11th November 1865. There is an Easter sepulchre on the north side with quatrefoils and blank shields from the 15th century.

Next to this on the same wall is a renaissance tablet, with ornate pilasters and pediment, dated 1562, with a face resembling a flaming sun, bearing the easily readable inscription.

Good Redar warne all / Men and Woomen whil they / Be Here To be ever good to / The poore and nedy. The / Poore ever in thys / Worlde shall ye have. God / Grante vs sumwhat in / Stoore for to save. The Cry/ Of the Poore is Extreme and / Very sore. God graunte us / To be good evermore. In thys / Worlde we rune our rase / God Graute us to be with / Christ in tyme and space.

The R may refer to the Richardson family, John and Ellen lived in Chaldon, Ellen died in 1580 and John in 1584, and it may be that these two left a charitable bequest to the poor of London.

The south aisle extends into St. Kateryn’s Chapel, built in the 14th century, now the Lady Chapel with two scenes from the Annunciation to the Blessed Virgin Mary in the east window which is a memorial to the Lambert family, containing the family emblems. Beneath it is a brass plaque referring to the family connections, placed in 1879. The south window contains some original, very old small glass panes.

The north aisle ends in a corresponding chapel which is now shortened, with a pair of windows depicting St Peter and St Paul to the north and a pair of angels in the east window. Both of these windows commemorate the Gardiner family of Rockshaw.

In the south aisle there is a double window dating from the seventeenth century with two stained glass windows of recent date, recording the fallen in the second world war and depicting Saints Michael and George. Next to it is a stone plaque recording the names of those fallen in the first world war. Below the window is a Book of Remembrance, whose pages are regularly turned revealing the names of local men who died in two world wars with a little history about each one person. Nearby there is a board on which is inscribed the names of the Rectors of this church dating back to 1304 AD.